Coventry City Council House - an Architectural Gem!

The Council House in Coventry was built from 1913 to 1917, and faced in red sandstone, in the early Tudor style. Architects E. Garret and H.W. Simister of Birmingham.


Where is the Council House in Coventry?

The Council House is on Earl Street, Coventry, CV1 5RR. The home of Coventry City Council. A cobbled road runs up Hay Lane to the west, and St Mary Street is to the east.

 

In brief

The Council House was built in Coventry City Centre from 1913 until 1917. The building was designed by Edward Garret and Henry Walter Simister of Birmingham in the Elizabethan style. Due to the First World War it was officially opened by the Duke of York in 1920. The building suffered some damage during the Coventry Blitz in 1940 during the Second World War. A Grade II listed building since 1974.

The Council House, Coventry. Photography by Daniel Sturley.

 

Coventry Council House - history

The Council House was commissioned to replace St Mary's Guildhall as the headquarters of the mayor and city corporation. The Earl Street site was previously home to a row of shops. The foundation stone was laid in June 1913, and the building was designed by Edward Garrett and Henry Walter Simister of Birmingham in the Elizabethan style. It was completed in 1917. Although due to the First World War, the official opening of the building only took place during June 1920 (by the Duke of York, later King George VI).

There is statues designed by Henry Wilson depicting Leofric (who founded monasteries in Coventry), Godiva (who was patron of the local monasteries) and Justice was installed around and above the entrance in 1924.

During the Second World War, bombs fell during November 1940 (the Coventry Blitz). Giving rise to some damage to the building including the destruction of the stained glass windows. King George VI returned to survey the damage in the aftermath of the raid. The building was restored after the war ended.

Coventry Council House

Coventry Council House

Coventry Council HouseCoventry Council House (April 2014). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Contact details

Coventry City Council

0808 583 4333

Project dates

09 Aug 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Civic pride, Classic Architecture

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com